Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

+9
ChickenSpider
BrokenMuse
Bees
Bogleech
Count Bleckenstien
Sasha
Quest Lord
Berserker Steve
Alpharius
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

Post  Grawflemaul Wed May 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Naryzhud wrote:That could lead to a very entertaining scene for a party to stumble across though... a small group of absolutely insane ants worshipping this anteater...

WHO GETS EATEN FIRST?

Grawflemaul

Back to top Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 3 Empty Re: Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

Post  LeftBower Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Naryzhud wrote:
BrokenMuse wrote:But who would listen? It'd be like an Elder Thing trying to communicate. It knows what you're saying, it knows how to respond back, but if/when it does, everything comes out garbled and just wrong. Not many would stick around to listen and those that did would be very demented individuals.

That could lead to a very entertaining scene for a party to stumble across though... a small group of absolutely insane ants worshipping this anteater...
This gives me an image of a nest of ants that raid other species' nests in order to capture queens to feed to the anteater. They then recruit from the now leaderless ants.

LeftBower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 am

LeftBower wrote:
Naryzhud wrote:
BrokenMuse wrote:But who would listen? It'd be like an Elder Thing trying to communicate. It knows what you're saying, it knows how to respond back, but if/when it does, everything comes out garbled and just wrong. Not many would stick around to listen and those that did would be very demented individuals.

That could lead to a very entertaining scene for a party to stumble across though... a small group of absolutely insane ants worshipping this anteater...
This gives me an image of a nest of ants that raid other species' nests in order to capture queens to feed to the anteater. They then recruit from the now leaderless ants.

That's just disturbing - a horrible thought to consider. Simply monstrous.
I love it! Twisted Evil
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 am

Sasha wrote:
LeftBower wrote:
Naryzhud wrote:

That's just disturbing - a horrible thought to consider. Simply monstrous.
I love it! Twisted Evil

Yes YES YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 3 Empty Bump

Post  Quest Lord Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:17 am

I'm bumping thise thread, so that everyone who has posted here gets an email, reminding them of this project. Let's get shit done.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 am

For any kind of starting adventure, I think we're going to need to assume they're taking on other arthropods to start. Maybe a small nest of hostile ants, maybe a larger bug that's gone feral and predatory. What do you think of there being a small but worrying chance of insects reverting to their ancestral state - losing their intelligence and becoming ravening predators?
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Grawflemaul Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:39 am

We'd need to work out exactly how the bugs got sentient before we started asking if there was any chance of them going back.

I liked the idea, expressed somewhere else, that the Sentience was focussed on one area, so there's a real frontier feeling, with the superior, sentient bugs expanding out into unknown and feral territory, and outbreeding or ruling over the local savages. Maybe, in order to keep up variety, there were multiple Centres of Sentience across the globe, some of which have become linked up with trade routes. Or you could just have lone explorers or refugees from one CoS somewhere entirely different.

Also, I'd rather not have any species be exclusively NPCs. There's more than enough room for everyone to be a potential player character. Balancing those species is an entirely different matter.

Grawflemaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 am

Grawflemaul wrote:We'd need to work out exactly how the bugs got sentient before we started asking if there was any chance of them going back.

I liked the idea, expressed somewhere else, that the Sentience was focussed on one area, so there's a real frontier feeling, with the superior, sentient bugs expanding out into unknown and feral territory, and outbreeding or ruling over the local savages. Maybe, in order to keep up variety, there were multiple Centres of Sentience across the globe, some of which have become linked up with trade routes. Or you could just have lone explorers or refugees from one CoS somewhere entirely different.

Also, I'd rather not have any species be exclusively NPCs. There's more than enough room for everyone to be a potential player character. Balancing those species is an entirely different matter.

That...sounds like a good plan. Works pretty well with the "points of light" idea as well - smarter doesn't necessarily always mean stronger, and it's a dangerous world out there for a bug. Hell, even building towns could be dangerous - there's safety in numbers against predatory, feral bugs, but you might just wind up attracting the attention of sparrows if you do that.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm liking this 'points of light' idea... And it means plenty of guilt-free xp out there Twisted Evil
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum