Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

+9
ChickenSpider
BrokenMuse
Bees
Bogleech
Count Bleckenstien
Sasha
Quest Lord
Berserker Steve
Alpharius
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

Post  Count Bleckenstien Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Also, will everything have an intense aversion to fire and electricity? It seems like they should due to bug zappers and Fire being the best weapon ever.
Count Bleckenstien
Count Bleckenstien

Back to top Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen?

Post  Bogleech Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Do the octopuses even need to be fresh water? Nothing really stops insects from visiting a salty tide pool. As the only environment not really penetrated by insects, the sea must seem like an entirely different universe.

They could chat with barnacles, too, though they probably wouldn't have a lot to say. I'd expect saltwater and brackish crabs to be not unlike trolls, ogres and giants. Sentient but in a primitive and beastly way.

A Mudskipper would be an amusing encounter.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Bees Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I now have the amusing mental image of a bunch of intertidal spiders patching up nut shells with webbing and pirating across the seven seas, with krakens and giant birds and all that.

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Count Bleckenstien Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Bees wrote:I now have the amusing mental image of a bunch of intertidal spiders patching up nut shells with webbing and pirating across the seven seas, with krakens and giant birds and all that.

And Sharks. God forbid a great white thinks their ship is a seal.
Count Bleckenstien
Count Bleckenstien

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm

The waterstriders that have evolved to live in the open ocean would seem like crazy adventurers to everyone else, bringers of news from far away places (much mangled news, but the only news they'll get from bugs).
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Count Bleckenstien wrote:
Bees wrote:I now have the amusing mental image of a bunch of intertidal spiders patching up nut shells with webbing and pirating across the seven seas, with krakens and giant birds and all that.

And Sharks. God forbid a great white thinks their ship is a seal.
Can you say epic level encounter?
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bees Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I heard some waterstriders can handle fish just fine (they secrete rather concentrated (15% I think? ) hydrogen peroxide, whichever fish dumb enough to attempt swallowing them spits them out with a horrible taste in its mouth and never does it again), but a great white against spiders? TPK, I'd say.

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Beached whale; the ultimate corpse-dungeon. Teeming with the bizarre, monstrous bugs of the sea.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Bogleech wrote:Beached whale; the ultimate corpse-dungeon. Teeming with the bizarre, monstrous bugs of the sea.
This I like. It would be a place where land bugs, birds, sea animals, etc. would all gather, and start off as a corpse dungeon, quickly evolve into a gold rush city, and then when it's all over, just be bleached bones on a beach.

Bees wrote:I heard some waterstriders can handle fish just fine (they secrete rather concentrated (15% I think? ) hydrogen peroxide, whichever fish dumb enough to attempt swallowing them spits them out with a horrible taste in its mouth and never does it again), but a great white against spiders? TPK, I'd say.
Epic level spiders. So, only a probable TPK. . .
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BrokenMuse Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:03 pm

It'd be more like trying to fight an earthquake, I think. Something that big would be near a force of nature for bugs.

BrokenMuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:15 pm

BrokenMuse wrote:It'd be more like trying to fight an earthquake, I think. Something that big would be near a force of nature for bugs.

True. Though fighting a force of nature isn't always out of the window in epic level games. . .
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

To help with the number of bugs available, maybe it would make sense to have a somewhat relaxed attitude towards cannibalism in this setting - I mean, if you're a spider and there's a cricket in your party, would you necessarily feel bad about killing and eating other (sentient) crickets? Or even if you feel bad, what if that is your primary natural food source, and it would be extremely hard to feed yourself otherwise?

I love the idea of setting up, say, a big ant lion as a trap-boss.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 am

Sasha wrote:To help with the number of bugs available, maybe it would make sense to have a somewhat relaxed attitude towards cannibalism in this setting - I mean, if you're a spider and there's a cricket in your party, would you necessarily feel bad about killing and eating other (sentient) crickets? Or even if you feel bad, what if that is your primary natural food source, and it would be extremely hard to feed yourself otherwise?

I like this. So a spider might agree not to eat the cricket he's travelling with, and be mostly trustworthy, he made no such promises to the random crickets found out and about. The other cricket might have something to say about that though.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Count Bleckenstien Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 am

Quest Lord wrote:
Sasha wrote:To help with the number of bugs available, maybe it would make sense to have a somewhat relaxed attitude towards cannibalism in this setting - I mean, if you're a spider and there's a cricket in your party, would you necessarily feel bad about killing and eating other (sentient) crickets? Or even if you feel bad, what if that is your primary natural food source, and it would be extremely hard to feed yourself otherwise?

I like this. So a spider might agree not to eat the cricket he's travelling with, and be mostly trustworthy, he made no such promises to the random crickets found out and about. The other cricket might have something to say about that though.

I'm sure we can say that there will be plenty of Cricket Bandits to keep all stomachs full.
Count Bleckenstien
Count Bleckenstien

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, common enemies are an answer to a lot of the predator issues. Think how often a party in D&D has to kill humans and half-humans.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Monster Manual: What's playable, and what's just EXP waiting to happen? - Page 2 Empty roaches

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Roaches would have damage reduction something scary. They would likely function as orcs of the insect world.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm

ChickenSpider wrote:Roaches would have damage reduction something scary. They would likely function as orcs of the insect world.
Eh, they seem too smart to be orcs. I can't really think of a fantasy analogue for them - The hardiness of a dwarf, the curiosity of a halfling, the cunning of a goblin...
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  Arachnid Knight Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Anteaters should be the equivalent to dragons, gigantic, terrible beasts that bring about wrath upon all those who it hungers for. And seeing as how anteaters can sniff out the scent of ants, perhaps they are able to even communicate with their prey, convincing colonies of termites or ants that they are gods.

Centipedes are things I could definately see as enemies, venemous, stealthy, and terribly dangerous.

lizards and birds are allso good ideas for enemies, especially grub eating finches.

Arachnid Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Arachnid Knight wrote:Anteaters should be the equivalent to dragons, gigantic, terrible beasts that bring about wrath upon all those who it hungers for. And seeing as how anteaters can sniff out the scent of ants, perhaps they are able to even communicate with their prey, convincing colonies of termites or ants that they are gods.

Centipedes are things I could definately see as enemies, venemous, stealthy, and terribly dangerous.

lizards and birds are allso good ideas for enemies, especially grub eating finches.
Anteaters as dragons? Fuck that, those things are Tarrasque-tier.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  BrokenMuse Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Arachnid Knight wrote:Anteaters should be the equivalent to dragons, gigantic, terrible beasts that bring about wrath upon all those who it hungers for. And seeing as how anteaters can sniff out the scent of ants, perhaps they are able to even communicate with their prey, convincing colonies of termites or ants that they are gods.

But who would listen? It'd be like an Elder Thing trying to communicate. It knows what you're saying, it knows how to respond back, but if/when it does, everything comes out garbled and just wrong. Not many would stick around to listen and those that did would be very demented individuals.

Centipedes could also be your friend, if one plays things right. Convince it cooperation is best for survival and things could go smoothly, until they don't. I think one of the themes that needs to be considered is that everything's trying to survive in this world.

BrokenMuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 pm

BrokenMuse wrote:

But who would listen? It'd be like an Elder Thing trying to communicate. It knows what you're saying, it knows how to respond back, but if/when it does, everything comes out garbled and just wrong. Not many would stick around to listen and those that did would be very demented individuals.

Centipedes could also be your friend, if one plays things right. Convince it cooperation is best for survival and things could go smoothly, until they don't. I think one of the themes that needs to be considered is that everything's trying to survive in this world.
At the same time, it might be good to emphasize that, for parties at least, cooperation is preferable to backstabbing.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah, a dragon equivalent is more like a cane toad, a veiled chameleon or a shrike. A cat is a BIG bad freaking dragon, and an anteater is practically Cthulhu. A human or a cow is akin to a walking continent.

I can't really think of a fantasy analogue for them - The hardiness of a dwarf, the curiosity of a halfling, the cunning of a goblin...

You've got yourself the humans. Roaches are the all-purpose "default" insect to most people; one of the first that come to mind.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Sun May 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Bogleech wrote:Yeah, a dragon equivalent is more like a cane toad, a veiled chameleon or a shrike. A cat is a BIG bad freaking dragon, and an anteater is practically Cthulhu. A human or a cow is akin to a walking continent.

I can't really think of a fantasy analogue for them - The hardiness of a dwarf, the curiosity of a halfling, the cunning of a goblin...

You've got yourself the humans. Roaches are the all-purpose "default" insect to most people; one of the first that come to mind.

Not to mention gregarious and fast-breeding - they're a pretty good fit. And if we're working with a post-human setting, they'd be in a great position right from the start - look at their numbers even in inhabited cities today.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  LeftBower Sun May 16, 2010 10:39 pm

And urbanised, which roaches have covered too.

LeftBower

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

BrokenMuse wrote:But who would listen? It'd be like an Elder Thing trying to communicate. It knows what you're saying, it knows how to respond back, but if/when it does, everything comes out garbled and just wrong. Not many would stick around to listen and those that did would be very demented individuals.

That could lead to a very entertaining scene for a party to stumble across though... a small group of absolutely insane ants worshipping this anteater...
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum