Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The social scene

+5
Bees
Bogleech
Alpharius
Quest Lord
captainbeer
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The social scene - Page 2 Empty Re: The social scene

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm

ChickenSpider wrote:
Sasha wrote:The more I read, the more I want to play this game already.
I think that the idea of different species banding together, however uneasily, is a good thing - maybe growing into quasi-cities where a relatively friendly and prosperous ant colony sits nearby. Ants already work as decent farmers, and for feeding larger groups, maybe they'd welcome the protection and skills of other species.

Welcome, to the city of Wormlog!

It does have something of a Dwarf Fortress feel to it, doesn't it?
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

The social scene - Page 2 Empty Re: The social scene

Post  Quest Lord Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Bogleech wrote:Now, what would become of "bee lice" - one of my favorite insects - in the new world order? They're wingless flies who live on bees and feed by triggering the bee's regurgitation reflex.

A sentient bee is probably not stupid enough to let this happen, so I'd guess that these and similar parasites might have had to adopt a more mutual arrangement with the advent of sentience. Modern bee lice could be fully integrated into honeybee social structure as tiny assistants, scouts and custodians.

Likewise wax moths; their caterpillars feed on beeswax and honey, lining their tunnels with silk to keep the bees out. Intelligent bees would probably know how to get rid of these guys rather easily, so if they weren't driven to extinction, they might have to have an agreement with bees, maybe using their silk as a part of the hive structure or added defensive system.

Maybe have a little of each. Some bee lice that are accepted, however, some probably sneak on, and the bee just thinks it's sick. Or potentially, bees don't have a way to get rid of them themselves, and might contact other species for grooming them. Perhaps bees tolerate bee lice they have agreements with, just to keep themselves free of less scrupulous bee lice.

These things should vary from hive to hive, becoming closer to 'normal' the further one gets away from a civilisation centre.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2