Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The social scene

+5
Bees
Bogleech
Alpharius
Quest Lord
captainbeer
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The social scene Empty The social scene

Post  captainbeer Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Just how DO these jitterbugs jive with each other? Do they get down and boogie only on occasion at some bug-eyed holiday? Or do they have regular disco-joints where all the fly flies and bodacious beetles can hang out? Is it leaf-eaters only, or can those voracious carnies come if they leave their teeth at the door? Webs, claws, mandibles and all, how do these crazy critters live with, without or within each others societies?

So, was in the main fluff thread and thought this could use its own thread. What is the current, 'cannon' social and political scene for Arthropocalypse?

Maybe:

The main setting occurs just after a major wasp assault on a bee territory that was a major honey producer for the surrounding area, devastating trade and causing the bees to shore up defenses and adopt a highly paranoid outlook.

The local ant colonies has boosted honeydew production in order to fill the hole in the 'sweet' market. Warlords of individual ant colonies are always preparing sneak attacks or sabotage missions to screw up the other colonies for the glory of their queen.

The players could be a contracted 'mercenary' sort of group sent out by an ant general to screw with another colony.

Neutral grounds have become more and more tense to go to after the last rash of trap-door spider killings, leading some to believe (and rightfully on occasion) that they are just set-ups by predators.

The players could 'meet in a tavern' only to have the tavern.

So lets get the social life alight, discuss rules, regulations, or even just start define how a specific species would act.

captainbeer

Back to top Go down

The social scene Empty Re: The social scene

Post  Quest Lord Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 pm

I think the world is a big enough place (particularly for our tiny protagonists) that there could be any number of different areas, with different approaches. But some overall things would be cool. For example, living under logs would be like the city, with various animals all living in close quarters, with some kind of society building up there. However in an ant colony, it'd be a more communist approach, where if you're not giving to the hive, you're not wanted. They'd tolerate aphids, maybe even raise them with their ideals, but most bugs wouldn't live there as they a) wouldn't have much to offer the hive, and not be allowed, or b) wouldn't want to live in such a society. Ants might kill off predators on sight, rather then risk the hive. . .
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Honestly, establishing cultural stereotypes for the species most likely to be encountered is probably more important than creating a default campaign setting - It's definately something we can do later on, but most people will probably make their own campaign settings anyway, so it's probably more important to give them the components needed to do so.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  captainbeer Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Alright, so lets get it on.

While termites are generally accepted as being one of the most proficient at building massive structures, they tend to keep their trade to themselves. Mud Daubers, however are considered some of the greatest artisans known. Their natural knack for creating aesthetically pleasure building and sculptures and in large scale coupled with their predation on the deadly black widow has gotten them accepted as a truly wonderful race. Any given group hive is likely to be built by the local mud dauber clan. Each clan has a specific style, all the way from their curves and layers straight down to the components they put into their work. Clan co-operatives are not uncommon and have produced truly marvelous wonders. They love their tradition and to be invited to spend time in one of their home cities is a wonderful honor. Gaining the trust to be invited is a rare thing, however.

captainbeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Bee hives are industrious centers of food production. Generally sending a few of the workers to large settlements to barter honey for information, they are largely self-contained. It is the rare insect indeed that manages to ingratiate itself with a hive to the point where it is allowed to enter.

Hornets, while generally decent craftsmen, are dangerous to barter with, given their carnivorous nature. Generally, the best way to contract them is to hire a single one to craft what is needed, and to pay it with a number of eggs equivalent to the task.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 am

Ants are social insects, that put the well being of the hive above all petty personal issues. Ant nests are communist monarchies, run the the queen(s) for the good of all. When trading with one ant, you are usually trading with the hive at large, as individual ants don't have a sense of personal belonging. Aphids raised in ant nests are often raised with similar ideologies, they give their honeydew to the hive as their job to help the hive. The hive feeds them well so that they can do this job. Many herbivorous species dislike ants, particularly the more aggressive types, but generally don't make a big deal of this - the nest is too numerous for most bugs to oppose. Ants in adventuring groups are often runaways or outcasts thrown out by the nest, or they are scouts, searching for information to bring back to the hive.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 pm

I'd expect some of the larger bee and ant colonies to have a seedy underworld of parasites, predators and deviant colony members in uneasy alliance, not unlike crime families.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Bees Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Bogleech wrote:I'd expect some of the larger bee and ant colonies to have a seedy underworld of parasites, predators and deviant colony members in uneasy alliance, not unlike crime families.

Some underground cult of drug-addict ants that kidnap larvae and feed them to an ants' guest beetle in exchange of its sweet secretions, perhaps?

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Bees wrote:
Bogleech wrote:I'd expect some of the larger bee and ant colonies to have a seedy underworld of parasites, predators and deviant colony members in uneasy alliance, not unlike crime families.

Some underground cult of drug-addict ants that kidnap larvae and feed them to an ants' guest beetle in exchange of its sweet secretions, perhaps?
I like this. But these ants would be at the bottom of the social order, and be 'deviants' where most ants would hold the good of the colony above all. If found out these ants would be despised, exiled or even killed on the spot.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Quest Lord wrote:
Bees wrote:

I like this. But these ants would be at the bottom of the social order, and be 'deviants' where most ants would hold the good of the colony above all. If found out these ants would be despised, exiled or even killed on the spot.

That sounds like a plot hook right there... Larvae keep disappearing and noone knows where! Investigate!

Last edited by Naryzhud on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 pm

We already observe some treachery in ants. A group might protect a new queen from being killed by an established queen, or turn against a queen that's been selfish with food. A colony can even have some individuals who sneak more food than the others, or secretly cannibalize larva and pupa.

There are all sorts of reasons a sentient ant might undermine the colony, and strike up deals with various other sneaky insects.

There are many parasitic ant species who replace established colonies. They might make friends on the inside when their numbers are still low, promising them protection in the takeover.

On the cuter side, there are some species of extra-tiny ant who simply connect their colony to that of a larger species and sneak food, mouse-style, or from the ant's perspective, like greedy gnomes.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Bees Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Oh yeah, weren't there also cheater worker bees, reproducing in an attempt to pass on a greater portion of their genes (as opposed to having queen reproduce) ?

Treachery may even reach to the highest echelons as workers compete to ensure only their secret sons mate with the new queens. Honeybees can detect the difference between queen-laid and worker-laid eggs and remove the latter by eating those, and if they were sentient any worker caught laying eggs on her own would probably be punished severely.

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 pm

A worker bee who loves her forbidden offspring enough might seek help from bee-flies or some other parasite. She agrees to tolerate their presence once she's queen, if they agree to help her get there.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Bees wrote:

This is were the crazies and addicts hang out, most like, a hive would'nt even know the Dregs existed, I mean what Queen in her right mind would allow a spider crime lord to stay in buisness?
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Now, what would become of "bee lice" - one of my favorite insects - in the new world order? They're wingless flies who live on bees and feed by triggering the bee's regurgitation reflex.

A sentient bee is probably not stupid enough to let this happen, so I'd guess that these and similar parasites might have had to adopt a more mutual arrangement with the advent of sentience. Modern bee lice could be fully integrated into honeybee social structure as tiny assistants, scouts and custodians.

Likewise wax moths; their caterpillars feed on beeswax and honey, lining their tunnels with silk to keep the bees out. Intelligent bees would probably know how to get rid of these guys rather easily, so if they weren't driven to extinction, they might have to have an agreement with bees, maybe using their silk as a part of the hive structure or added defensive system.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  BrokenMuse Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Triggering regurgitation? Bee lice might go along on nectar-gathering expeditions and if their carrier ingests something tainted, force the bee to spit it out. Or they've figured how to trigger other functions: tiny defibrillators? Sentience optional.

Wax moths could also learn to take advantage of weak and ill-managed colonies or find unused crannies in the largest hives. They'd become opportunistic parasites or strengthen silk production to creating tough barriers to defend against irate workers.

BrokenMuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bees Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

And some may even be double agents, making secret agreements with natural predators and raiders of bees such as beewolves or death's head hawkmoths to get a small share of food in return for leaking information on the hive.

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

I can just imagine Acherontia and other hive raiders as a perfect stand-in for seafaring pirates (they even have built-in jolly rogers!), organizing epic multi-species raiding crews.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Bogleech wrote:I can just imagine Acherontia and other hive raiders as a perfect stand-in for seafaring pirates (they even have built-in jolly rogers!), organizing epic multi-species raiding crews.
It's shit like this that made me want to develop this thing in the first place.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 am

Bogleech wrote:I can just imagine Acherontia and other hive raiders as a perfect stand-in for seafaring pirates (they even have built-in jolly rogers!), organizing epic multi-species raiding crews.
This sounds like a great idea. A fun chance for Predators to work together.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:23 pm

devi-ants... pun intended?
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

How would ant's view ants who have left their colonies? With disgust is my bet, they have abandoned their duty to their Queen.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm

ChickenSpider wrote:How would ant's view ants who have left their colonies? With disgust is my bet, they have abandoned their duty to their Queen.
If they've abandoned their colonies, most likely. However, the ant may be leaving on some kind of exploration mission for the colony, and thus would be treated well for giving up colony life in order to better serve the colony.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 am

The more I read, the more I want to play this game already.
I think that the idea of different species banding together, however uneasily, is a good thing - maybe growing into quasi-cities where a relatively friendly and prosperous ant colony sits nearby. Ants already work as decent farmers, and for feeding larger groups, maybe they'd welcome the protection and skills of other species.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Sasha wrote:The more I read, the more I want to play this game already.
I think that the idea of different species banding together, however uneasily, is a good thing - maybe growing into quasi-cities where a relatively friendly and prosperous ant colony sits nearby. Ants already work as decent farmers, and for feeding larger groups, maybe they'd welcome the protection and skills of other species.

Welcome, to the city of Wormlog!
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next