Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flavour

+2
Tiggurix
Naryzhud
6 posters

Go down

Flavour Empty Flavour

Post  Naryzhud Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 am

One thing i don't think has been mentioned that we should probably address pretty soon is what kind of setting are we aiming for? Dark gritty bug eat bug realism world with small bands clinging together against the world? Or fun, slightly off the wall insect societies with bizarro cities and technology with a large slice of humour? Or do we want to provide rules for everything and leave it up to DM choice? Personally i think we should allow for everything but perhaps choose one way to go as far as the flavour we give off in the rulebook...
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Flavour Empty Re: Flavour

Post  Tiggurix Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:54 pm

Hey there! Just my two pence: I personally think we should go for a primarily wacky tone. After all, a buch of unrelated 'bug' species going for high adventure in the big, wide world is not a very serious concept!
Tiggurix
Tiggurix

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm voting for the provide rules, and let the DM set the mood. That said, some notes on the setting with how to convey a more grimdark feel or a more silly ADVENTURE! would be good.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Grawflemaul Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:59 pm

As I see it, once we get the rules out of the way, it's gonna be pretty easy to get the fluff done. Everyone loves fluff.

Essentially, there is this dual-setting going on. On one, you've got low-powered "realistic" survival. In the other, you've got a bit more fantastical societies going on, everything's a lot more anthropomorphished and it's generally a bit silly.

Both are perfectly good, so I don't see why we should need conflict over which we represent.

Grawflemaul

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Personally, I think a grim-dark approuch is rather approriate for Arthropocalypse, and nature in general. You eat or be eaten, every arthropod for herself.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:31 am

Grim-dark is always good, but not too serious; realism kills games dead.
I like the idea of a chaotic, dangerous world, with a few scattered areas where bugs try to work together - banding together in fortified settlements to try to stay safe from the world outside.

Of course, hive-dwellers like bees and termites have a different story - massive, insular and oppressive but fairly secure cities, maybe trading for goods with the mixed-species towns (but always suffering from a tinge of xenophobia).

Even with humanity gone, it is a big, scary damn world for an insect - especially an intelligent one.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Sasha wrote:Grim-dark is always good, but not too serious; realism kills games dead.
I like the idea of a chaotic, dangerous world, with a few scattered areas where bugs try to work together - banding together in fortified settlements to try to stay safe from the world outside.

Of course, hive-dwellers like bees and termites have a different story - massive, insular and oppressive but fairly secure cities, maybe trading for goods with the mixed-species towns (but always suffering from a tinge of xenophobia).

Even with humanity gone, it is a big, scary damn world for an insect - especially an intelligent one.

Wait one damn minute- Could ants represent the Imperium, with xenophobia and intolerance to spare?
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

ChickenSpider wrote:
Sasha wrote:Grim-dark is always good, but not too serious; realism kills games dead.

Wait one damn minute- Could ants represent the Imperium, with xenophobia and intolerance to spare?

Probably. However, more importantly, do we want it to? We get 40k in everything, and as much as I like 40k, I think the original product should do it's own thing, even if some people make insect 40k later. . . OH GOD. JAPANESE HORNETS THAT LOOT!

Wellthatstheendofcivilisationasweknowit.jpg
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum