Arthropocalypse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bug warfare

+6
Bogleech
BrokenMuse
Arachnid Knight
Alpharius
Bees
ChickenSpider
10 posters

Go down

Bug warfare Empty Bug warfare

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

How would the arthros view war? I imagine that the ants would have an imperialistic mindset (for the colony!). The idea of introducing a mild form of anthropomorphism would be appealing, I mean, not like in A Bug's Life[/i][i] but something with a semi-upright from, such as the Formains from Dungeons and Dragons would be the concept for the ants. This coupled with the assumption that the arthros are sentient would give rise to basic weapons such as spears and bows. Any social insect would likely use horde tactics to overwhelm a foe. hell, most arthros would use these tactics, with the exeption of predators, who would rely on stealth and size to win the day.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Bug warfare Empty Re: Bug warfare

Post  Bees Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:07 pm

For the most part, insects cannot effectively use tools and would be much better off relying on their inbuilt weaponry.

However, tactics would be an important part, especially since you have diverse insects working together. In real life you may not see an ogre-faced spider hitching a hike on a moth to gather small flies on its net, in return for providing protection for the moth's caterpillars (nature has a great variety of weird symbioses, though, so don't bet on it. ) That's where Arthropocalypse steps in.

Bees

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Bees wrote:For the most part, insects cannot effectively use tools and would be much better off relying on their inbuilt weaponry.

However, tactics would be an important part, especially since you have diverse insects working together. In real life you may not see an ogre-faced spider hitching a hike on a moth to gather small flies on its net, in return for providing protection for the moth's caterpillars (nature has a great variety of weird symbioses, though, so don't bet on it. ) That's where Arthropocalypse steps in.

Indeed.

Although I can see big things like Hermit Crabs being used as engines of war...
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Bug warfare Empty war

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:25 pm

bobadier beetles used as siege engines is an amusing thought. Would like to see the ants using their drones as air support. You KNOW a wasp/ant strike force would be BEAST.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Arachnid Knight Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I figure frogs might be used as seige engines, or at least as a good way to break the line.

Ant warfare, I would imagine would be much like the roman Phalanx style, the front line defends, the back lines hurl stingers or acid, or whatever might be used as a range weapon.

Beetles seem to me a bit more like pacifists, well the vegetarian ones anyways.
Tiger beetles, now those are a species i'd love to see in combat. Moving at literally blinding speed, cutting straks of death into an army...

Mantids might be more for martial arts, their movements did inspire an entire branch of the kung fu discipline.

Arachnid Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Arachnid Knight wrote:I figure frogs might be used as seige engines, or at least as a good way to break the line.

Ant warfare, I would imagine would be much like the roman Phalanx style, the front line defends, the back lines hurl stingers or acid, or whatever might be used as a range weapon.

Beetles seem to me a bit more like pacifists, well the vegetarian ones anyways.
Tiger beetles, now those are a species i'd love to see in combat. Moving at literally blinding speed, cutting straks of death into an army...

Mantids might be more for martial arts, their movements did inspire an entire branch of the kung fu discipline.
Frogs as siege engines... I can only imagine how one would go about capturing one, much less bringing it to bear in combat.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  BrokenMuse Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Best they could do is take advantage of a frog's presence when one is near a battlefield, but keeping one on-demand? I'd be sure to fail (hilariously and horribly).

BrokenMuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpharius Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:35 pm

BrokenMuse wrote:Best they could do is take advantage of a frog's presence when one is near a battlefield, but keeping one on-demand? I'd be sure to fail (hilariously and horribly).
Not neceassarily, I think that termites, given enough numbers and resources, could pull it off.
Alpharius
Alpharius

Back to top Go down

Post  Arachnid Knight Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 pm

They might just be able to train them as the Indians trained elephants, punishing any show of will with pain and rewarding obedience with food, most likely grubs from enemy hives.

Arachnid Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Bogleech Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Any animal with a brain can be conditioned, though maybe not all that well...how does a frog learn the difference between the insects who punish it for trying to eat them and the insects it's supposed to eat? Maybe they could be trained to eat what's in front of them on command, so they have to be "piloted." Wasps would surely make the best beast-handlers.

Bogleech

Back to top Go down

Post  Grawflemaul Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:53 pm

BrokenMuse wrote:Best they could do is take advantage of a frog's presence when one is near a battlefield, but keeping one on-demand? I'd be sure to fail (hilariously and horribly).

Yew want to know what the reel horror is, hey? Wal, it's this - it ain't what them termite devils hez done, but what they're a-goin' to do! They're a-bringin' things up aout o' whar they come from into the colony - been doin' it fer years, an' slackenin' up lately. Them cells north o' the river be-twixt Water an' Main Streets is full of 'em - them devils an' what they brung - an' when they git ready ... I say, when they git... ever hear tell of a froggoth?

Grawflemaul

Back to top Go down

Bug warfare Empty The Ant Armies

Post  ChickenSpider Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 pm

The ants go marching one by one,hurrah, hurrah
We slaughter termites just for fun, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
We'll all be dead before we're through, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching three by three,
hurrah, hurrah, hurrah, HURRAH
We're off to face our destiny, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching four by four, hurrah, hurrah
You'll find there is a million more, hurrah, hurrah
-traditional ant battle march-
Ants organize in thick fighting blocks with bombadier support to cover their advance. Air support is composed of drones. Irregulars include aphid serfs and conscripted workers. Typical tactics involve all out charges and flanks. In fact, ant tactics are so advanced that to a layman, the charging ants appear to be a mindless rabble.
Special Units
Fire Ants: These ants use swarming attacks to weaken the enemy with their poison.
Amazonian Ants: "Berserk Horde" would be putting it mildly. The ants charge in a blood frenzy chanting dark songs to their thirsty gods.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Sun May 16, 2010 10:21 pm

ChickenSpider wrote:The ants go marching one by one,hurrah, hurrah
We slaughter termites just for fun, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
We'll all be dead before we're through, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching three by three,
hurrah, hurrah, hurrah, HURRAH
We're off to face our destiny, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching four by four, hurrah, hurrah
You'll find there is a million more, hurrah, hurrah
-traditional ant battle march-
Ants organize in thick fighting blocks with bombadier support to cover their advance. Air support is composed of drones. Irregulars include aphid serfs and conscripted workers. Typical tactics involve all out charges and flanks. In fact, ant tactics are so advanced that to a layman, the charging ants appear to be a mindless rabble.
Special Units
Fire Ants: These ants use swarming attacks to weaken the enemy with their poison.
Amazonian Ants: "Berserk Horde" would be putting it mildly. The ants charge in a blood frenzy chanting dark songs to their thirsty gods.

Would multiple ants be able to work together, though? You're talking about completely different species banding as one force to combine their abilities. Of course, while unrealistic, that would be absolutely badass.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:06 am

Sasha wrote:
Would multiple ants be able to work together, though? You're talking about completely different species banding as one force to combine their abilities. Of course, while unrealistic, that would be absolutely badass.
Maybe not normally, but some ant species capture larvae from other species, and raise them as the nest workers. Now combine that with an Imperialistic ant mindset and the IQ boost they're getting and Fire and and Jumping Jack ant auxiliaries become frighteningly possible.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:35 am

Quest Lord wrote:
Sasha wrote:
Maybe not normally, but some ant species capture larvae from other species, and raise them as the nest workers. Now combine that with an Imperialistic ant mindset and the IQ boost they're getting and Fire and and Jumping Jack ant auxiliaries become frighteningly possible.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That would be truly awesome...
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  Quest Lord Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:48 am

Naryzhud wrote:
Quest Lord wrote:
Sasha wrote:

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That would be truly awesome...

Is it odd that I'm wanting an arthropocalypse tabletop wargame now? One project at a time though, once we get this thing into playable beta, then we can start thinking about stuff like that.
Quest Lord
Quest Lord
Admin

https://arthropocalypse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Naryzhud Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 am

Not odd... not odd at all... You're amongst friends here. But yes, best start slowly...
Naryzhud
Naryzhud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 am

For the whole setting, I think the more chaotic, the better - "points of light" where bugs have managed to put together some semblance of peace, with vast stretches of chaos and danger in between. Bandits, predators and ferals roam freely, threatening the fragile bastions of civilization...

Also, somewhere there has got to be a pacifistic praying-mantis monastery. Maybe handwave that nearly any insect can survive (albeit blandly) on something like aphid milk?
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Grawflemaul Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:47 am

Sasha wrote:Also, somewhere there has got to be a pacifistic praying-mantis monastery. Maybe handwave that nearly any insect can survive (albeit blandly) on something like aphid milk?

If we're having pacifist mantis-monks, then we need to have their Evil predatory rivals.

PITIFUL FOOLS, FEASTING ON THE FLESH OF THE WEAK GIVES US STRENGTH, SHOW ME YOUR PATHETIC MANTIS-FU

Grawflemaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasha Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 am

Grawflemaul wrote:
Sasha wrote:Also, somewhere there has got to be a pacifistic praying-mantis monastery. Maybe handwave that nearly any insect can survive (albeit blandly) on something like aphid milk?

If we're having pacifist mantis-monks, then we need to have their Evil predatory rivals.

PITIFUL FOOLS, FEASTING ON THE FLESH OF THE WEAK GIVES US STRENGTH, SHOW ME YOUR PATHETIC MANTIS-FU

...we need to get a drawfag on this.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Post  ChickenSpider Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Personally, I've always seen mantids as patient killers, assassins all.
ChickenSpider
ChickenSpider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum